[TCMUG] How do you match up two datasets?

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu Aug 19 11:41:46 EDT 2010

All,

I've always envisioned this as a nodal type of data structure, where a entity or group of entities step up and agree to manage a particular set of data in a particular area and act as this specified area's data custodian.  These custodial duties would include setting up a OSM Node of the data described, with some sort of auto-syncing of new data between the master OSM node and this remotely administered node.

The same tool sets would be used between the nodes for updating, the biggest difference would be in letting the localized data administrator know about and also contribute to this local node.

Benefits I see,

** Having the local node available for these types of data maintenance tasks, also allow for a localized dedicated services that local folks will trust (more) because they are maintaining.
** Localized load balancing and redundancy issuesc an more easily be handled.
** Pre packaging of localized data for reuse (in mobile devices for example) is enabled.
** More than one of these types of nodes can be set up, even going so far as separating based on feature type.
** A way of easing folks into the idea of providing a shared resource as well as a collaborative method for upkeep, still keeping it local, while also providing for the bigger picture.

There was talk of something like this in the works from the OSM folks a few months back, but I have yet to see anyhting in print about remotely adm inistered OSM nodes.  I would be very interested in pursuing this type of approach.

bobb

>>> Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi TCMUG,

I've been pondering a way to help people import into OSM while respecting the existing data. To that end, I'm wondering if anyone on the list could talk about how they would go about applying one (newer, presumably better) dataset to another. I'm thinking of the usecase where MetroGIS has old street centerline data from 1990 and receives an update from 2010. How would you go about doing that? What tools would you use and what are they called?

I'm envisioning a web map that allows you to view the new data as an overlay on the existing data, marking whether or not to import each new feature and how the import should happen (completely remove old stuff and replace with new stuff, update the metadata on the old stuff with the new stuff, or something else). However, when there are a gazillion things to import, it might not make sense to do that one-by-one.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Ian