[TCMUG] GeoMOOSE 2.2 Released!

Brian Fischer bfischer at houstoneng.com
Fri Feb 19 10:55:06 EST 2010

This version provides exciting new features that users have been requesting.  Some new features to GeoMOOSE 2.2 include:

 *   New website with more documentation and a redesigned gallery
 *   Implementation of Trac to submit bug and enhancement tickets
 *   New layer types such as Bing Maps, Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, OpenStreetMap tiles and ArcGIS Server Rest services
 *   A new demo application to highlight the additional layer types in a Web Mercator projection
 *   Enhancements to the selection/buffer services and ability to download selection results
 *   Bug fixes to the geocode and popup services
 *   Addition of a feature report service
 *   Addition of a query builder service
 *   Addition of a user extensions framework to add your own code to GM without modifying the core libraries, an example of this is a dynamic zoom service
 *   Addition of custom cursors and scale bars
 *   More catalog presentation options
Please visit the gallery http://www.geomoose.org/gallery oto see what users have been using GeoMOOSE for or to submit your own application.  You can also visit the live demo from the main website link at the top of the page.
GeoMOOSE (www.geomoose.org<http://www.geomoose.org>) is an open source web application framework for displaying geographic data.  What makes GeoMOOSE unique is it provides an out-of-the-box solution that makes it easy for non-developers to create web-mapping applications with typical tools such as navigate, search, measure and print. Non-developers only need to be comfortable with configuration files.  GeoMOOSE has a number of strengths including modularity, configurability, and delivers a number of core functionalities in its packages.  The project has targeted local government business cases to distribute land records information, but many other users have used it for much more.  Since GeoMOOSE is open source project it built on other popular open source projects such as OpenLayers (www.openlayers.org<http://www.openlayers.org>) and MapServer (www.mapserver.org<http://www.mapserver.org>).  To get started with GeoMOOSE, simply go to the download page and install the software demo.
We are excited to see the inception of this project go from a an application developed by the City of St. Paul, MN to FGDC CAP grant to a robust open source software project used by hundreds of people across the world in the last 3 years.  We hope you find the investment made by all the developers a resource to the GIS community.  We are excited to see this project grow and we envision continued growth as more and more users find it.  We welcome feedback on the GeoMOOSE project and hope you give the software a try.

Contact the project steering committee for more information:

 *   Dan "Ducky" Little: danlittle at yahoo.com
 *   Brian Fischer: bfischer at houstoneng.com
 *   Bob Basques: bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
 *   Jim Klassen: jim.klassen at ci.stpaul.mn.us