[TCMUG] All of MN LiDAR in your browser

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Sat Jul 8 13:35:23 PDT 2017

Here's something to send around. I look forward to having a few with you guys!

Howard

LiDAR is a Headache, Here's Some Aspirin

After your friendly data acquisition vendor drops a few terabytes of LiDAR on your desk with a thud, you might be left wondering what to do with it. The obvious things, like make a digital terrain or surface model for a little patch are achievable in your favorite desktop monolith, but more nuanced stuff, like computing a vegetative height surface, or filtering noise from the point cloud are less obvious. Howard Butler will talk about how you can use the PDAL open source project to complete these tasks, describe processing and data management techniques to corral an entire state's worth of LiDAR in the cloud, and describe the possibilities of getting your point clouds in the cloud with open source software. You can find out more about these softwares at https://pdal.io <https://pdal.io/> and https://entwine.io <https://entwine.io/>

Bio

Howard Butler is an open source software developer who leads the PDAL, Entwine, and Greyhound open source point cloud software projects. He is a GDAL and MapServer Project Steering Committee member, the maintainer of the Proj.4 coordinate system library, a former OSGeo board member, a contributing author to the IETF GeoJSON standard, and an active participant in the ASPRS LAS committee. His company, Hobu, Inc., develops open source solutions for clients such as the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to manage and operate point cloud data warehousing systems. He still doesn't know how to merge CVS branches, and his pull requests usually contain gobs of cruft.