[TCMUG] Building heights Minneapolis/ St. Paul?

Loesch, Tim N (MNIT) tim.loesch at state.mn.us
Fri Nov 2 08:34:13 PDT 2018

Folks,

My experience is that It’s a bit problematic to bring out the heights of building because there are no associated building footprints that can be used to segment out the different buildings. As it stands buildings that are connected together and have different heights are coalesced into a single building. A compounding factor in Minneapolis and St. Paul is that the skyway system, which ties buildings together across streets, ends up connecting buildings all over the place.  If you had had a small set of buildings you were interested in it would be easy enough to slap down a couple of polygons but from an en mass perspective it’s tough.

I did see some ESRI tools at the GIS/LIS conference that seemed to be able to handle this situation and separate out buildings of different heights that were adjacent to one another but I don’t know the details on how that was done.

Tim

Timothy N. Loesch
Deputy Chief Business Technology Officer
Minnesota IT Services | Partnering with Department of Natural Resources
500 Lafayette Road, Box 11
St. Paul, MN 55155
O: 651-259-5475 | tim.loesch at state.mn.us<mailto:tim.loesch at state.mn.us> | Lat 44.95609, Long -93.08388<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214386041836079410151.000443c537a33887647e7&msa=0>
Information Technology for Minnesota Government | mn.gov/mnit<http://mn.gov/mnit>