[TCMUG] Modern GIS data storage approaches?

Dan Little theduckylittle at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 10:15:28 PST 2018

You may have some options depending on the train-ability of your staff and
what level of cloud-savvy you'd like to apply:

1. You could look at getting a VPS on AWS or similar cloud-provider and
create a virtual machine which you can VPN into that could provide
standard-ish network shared drives.
2. If you have a lot of vector data, look at putting them into an Amazon
RDS. (
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/Appendix.PostgreSQL.CommonDBATasks.html#Appendix.PostgreSQL.CommonDBATasks.PostGIS
)
3. If you have a lot of imagery you could look at converting the images to
cloud-optimized geotiffs and then streaming them. (
https://www.cogeo.org/qgis-tutorial.html)

Finally, you may be able to just the S3 or a similar object store with a
utility like CyberDuck (https://cyberduck.io/, no relation).  Then people
can upload/download data and organize it "in the cloud" in a fairly similar
way to Dropbox.