[TCMUG] REMINDER: May 13, 2020 - OSGeo Local Chapter Virtual Meeting (aka TCMUG)

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed May 6 10:25:00 PDT 2020

All,

So, the last meeting was interesting in that we went virtual with it for the first time.  All in all it worked out very well.  We even had a few out of towners show up. We presented a couple of short presentations that seemed to be of interest to the group based on the questions raised.

Operator error (on my part) prevented me from recording anything from the last meeting, I forgot to hit the record button, so no pictures , not even a screenshot.   I'll attempt to do better this time around.  We can still add a second presentation if anyone is interested, just let me know, or raise the topic at the meeting

I'm liking the capabilities that Jitsi allows, but I also don't want the group to get bombed while a meeting is in progress.  Still learning how to best secure the meeting.  Until I figure out the basics on this, can I have everyone interested in attending send me their email address in order to send out the Jitsi meeting invite directly, vs announcing on the lists, which seems to be a no-no?  Looking into some sort of Web based distro of the invite that folks would need to login to.  But maybe someone out there has a better idea??

The May meeting will feature a guest speaker,

Michael Battaglia (mjbattag at mtu.edu<mailto:mjbattag at mtu.edu>) - Bio<https://www.mtu.edu/mtri/about/staff/research-administrative/battaglia/>.

A blurb from Michael about the presentation:

"Coastal wetlands are a critical component of the Great Lakes ecosystem. Fluctuating lake levels, anthropogenic activity, and invasion by non-native vegetation have led to rapid changes to these valuable, yet fragile, wetland areas. Frequent monitoring is necessary to understand where and when changes are occurring, however, field visits are costly and time consuming. Techniques leveraging spaceborne synthetic aperture radar data enable timely remote monitoring of a variety of important variables, including wetland type and inundation extent. This talk will show methods used to generate map products for those parameters and share results generated with RADARSAT-2 SAR data for several pilot sites around the Great Lakes.

Duration: approx.. 30 min.

Meeting details:

Where: Jitsi (send email for invite)
When: 4:30 pm, May 13th, 2020.