[Tilecache] A tilecache tutorial

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Feb 27 18:13:25 EST 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 02:00:17PM -0500, Adrian Zhao wrote:
> You are welcome!
>
> Here is a question for both of you.
>
> I know that after I installed TileCache in front of mine WMS server
> (e.g. GeoServer), I can send three tile requests, WMS, WorldWind and
> TMS. But how do I know which one to send in my web client?  If I send a
> GetMap Request to my WMS with TileCache, does TileCache smart enough to
> serve tiles as requested if it already cached or it generated tiles on
> the fly and then cached for future use.

Once you set up your WMS Layer in TileCache, you can request tiles from
/cgi-bin/tilecache.cgi (or the like). TileCache will serve any of the
three types of requests, as you mentioned.

If you send a GetMap request to /cgi-bin/tilecache.cgi, TileCache will
first check its cache for the tile you're asking for. If it has it, it
will serve that tile from cache. If not, it will make a request to the
backend -- WMS, Mapserver, Mapnik -- and cache that data.

Does this answer the question you're asking? I think the answer is
(simply) yes.