[Tilecache] tilecache and getFeatureInfo

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Jul 31 12:06:33 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 04:42:39PM +0200, Steven M. Ottens wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need both a cached WMS and the ability to do getFeatureInfo requests.
> Right now TileCache doesn't support getFeatureInfo and it would require
> a complex scheme to change the request url from tilecache.py to the
> mapserver.cgi url at the client side.

Why?

> So I was looking into adding
> getFeatureInfo support to tilecache.
> I have a couple of questions:
> 1. Is it feasible at all?

Anything is feasible, though it's somewhat against the design of TC, so
I'd be surprised by a patch I liked, I think.

> 2. Is it desired by other people and/or has soemone tried to write such
> a feature?

Others have asked, and when I mentioned the idea of just changing the
URL at the client side, they seemed happy with that.

> 3. I've no experience with python but from reading the code I figured
> that I need to do something like this:
>        add a function in Service.py "getFeatureInfo" this should call
> wms.fetch() once the WMS parameters are set.
>     In Client.py I should add support different request types and add an
> extra "Content-Type"
>
> sounds this about right? Am I forgetting something?

That would probably work.

TileCache is a highly specialized piece of software: it serves tiles,
and metadata about how to request those tiles. Anything else is beyond
the scope of TileCache, from my point of view, though I might be able to
be convinced otherwise.
is not a WMS
server, and