[Tilecache] TileCache with 2 layers & Java Servlet (Jon)

Duarte Carreira DCarreira at edia.pt
Tue Jun 19 14:04:51 EDT 2007

Hello.

This is a situation I don't know if it's related to TileCache or the
Servlet version created by Jon Blower. I feel the servlet was a great
idea since it's so easy to set up under Windows+IIS.

I've got TileCache Servlet working but have met a few problems that I
thought someone could help shed some light on.

I would like to have 2 tilecache layers in OpenLayers (OL). The first is
a base layer. The second is an overlay just with labels. I'm getting
good results avoiding chopped text.

The problem is that the 1st layer works fine, but the second I get the
usual error "Cannot determine ... from bounds" (I don't have access to
the server right now, so cannot get the exact error message).

I found that OL is escaping the urls for 1st layer but not the 2nd. So
TileCache seems to have trouble getting the bbox argument for the 2nd
layer. If I switch the order of the layers, and make the labels my 1st
layer, then this layer starts working ok, and the other not. (hope this
is clear enough)

So my question is: is there a solution for this? Have you ever tried 2
layers on the same map being served from TileCache?
I don't know if it can be solved in OL or if it's easiest/quicker to
have TileCache ability to catch these URLs...

Also, on a foot-note, is it possible to drop-in a newer version of
TileCache into the servlet? (I'm hoping Jon reads this)

Thanks for your time,
Duarte Carreira