[Tilecache] [OpenLayers-Users] Tiling Map Services

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Mar 22 19:48:16 EDT 2007

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 07:59:30PM +0000, Jon Blower wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> Thanks for this reply.
>
> >There is nothing difficult about adding another data source of the form
> >you describe to TileCache: it's simply a new layer type. TileCache
> >doesn't care about the data, just that it's regular.
>
> I still can't quite see how this would work.  I need to cache data,
> not images, so I guess I would need to add tile rendering code to
> TileCache in order to turn the cached data into images.

Sorry -- my mistake. I assumed when you said "I need to cache data" that
you also wanted to *fetch* data. Images *are* data, so you could cache
data (like XML) using TileCache, and fetch data (like XML) from
TileCache.

But you're right. If you want images, you'll need to use something else.

> This could be
> problematic as my tile rendering code is in Java, but TileCache is in
> Python.  Unless TileCache can work with Jython?  This would require
> TileCache to be compatible with Python 2.1 (or 2.2 at a push).

TC does work with Python 2.2 (or has in the past -- and I'd consider not
running on 2.2 a bug), and might even work on 2.1.

> Having said this, it's probable that re-implementing the rendering
> code in Python will be less effort than trying to replicate TileCache
> in Java.

> (Should I be having this discussion on the TileCache mailing list?
> Apologies if so)

Probably so. I've copied that list on this email -- followups should go
there.