[Tilecache] Read Only Cache and Coverage...

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Mar 26 20:04:11 EDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 09:20:20AM +0930, Andrew Hughes wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'll try and be very concise here, it would be nice to have the live
> (external) WMS-C service serve only cached tiles, and an internal
> process to control what populates the cache. (This is for disk cache).
>

> Here's why:
>
> Limiting the cache to a simple "extent"/"bbox" means that when we get
> new coverage we can't increase the extent without modification to our OL
> clients. We want world-wide..... even if we don't have EU maps... yet!
>
> Further more, having an internal process to populate the cache means the
> cache coverage can be quite sophisticated. For example, we might cache
> different resolutions for different area's and also complex polygons
> e.t.a. or maybe draw on polygons from our spatial database to execute
> the seed script.
>
> Next, most "extents"... (ie a BBox)... is a very inefficient use of
> resources as the cache has a good proportion of useless tiles (ie sea or
> desert).
>
> Performing "live caching" from client requests could be based on another
> approach... Where the tile must me certain conditions (ie coverage or
> resolution), this is normally a slow process that will degrade 'live'
> service. It is also most likely that the conditions that need to be met
> are defined and dependent on external spatial data. This is most likely
> not TC's responsibility.

Schuyler and I have no problem with the idea of seperate caches for each
layer. If we were to go that route, then the implementation of a
non-writing cache would be simple (just return false from the write()),
and you could set up two different layer names -- one for internal use,
one for external use.

Does that solve your problem? I'm not sure if I'm understanding it.