[Tilecache] Creating world files in TileCache

brindahl rindahl at lrcwe.com
Thu Nov 15 19:16:48 EST 2007

>I'd take a patch to add an optional switch to the disk cache to cause it
>to do this.

I'll look into this but my Python skills are a bit sketchy..

>Note that GDAL trunk (what will be 1.5) can talk to a WMS-C server in
>the backend, and serve WMS requests from it:
>http://gdal.org/frmt_wms.html has details . If you have the ability to
>run the server, you can then stick GDAL/MapServer in front of it to act
>as the MapServer, rather than serving from many files, which will
>probably make your life easier.

At this point ideas are welcome.  Originally I set up a WMS to server both a
web application and background images to GIS.  I understood how a tile
system would speed up WMS requests and created it for MapServer.  It works
fine but using TileCache and adjusting my web code to ask for specific tiles
made a huge speed increase.  Now I wonder if I could then reset the MapSever
to look at the cached TileCache images to save diskspace and serve to
traditional WMS requests (thus the need for the world files).  I don't see
ArcGIS supporting WMS-C anytime soon.

Bruce