[Tilecache] metabuffer results in conflicting behavior for point & line labels..

louvy.joseph at gmail.com louvy.joseph at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 06:18:08 EDT 2007

I am using tilecache metaSize of 3,3 and I have both lines & points in
my geoserver-1.5.3 based wms server.

When I have metaBuffer=0, some of my text labels for the points get
dropped. I am thinking that these points happen to be at edges of meta
tiles and there is not enough space to render the label and so the
geoserver drops them.

Now if I start increasing the metaBuffer to 10, 20 or 30 pixels, now
slowly more of my points start showing up. But my line names are getting
chopped now. I tried various metaBuffer options but I am not able to
correct the problem of line names getting chopped.

 From geoserver  point of view, the problem is happening because the
point labels have precise definition of where they should be and the
bigger metaBuffer helps them. But the line labels are not precisely
positioned based on any geographic location constraints. So one meta
tile may decide to put a part of line label into its metabuffer space
but the next adjoining metatile never bothered about this label. If only
the two adjoining meta tiles included the line label at the exact same
geographic point, it wouldn't have chopped the line labels so badly.

Does anybody have any ideas? Am I doing something wrong? Is this tunable
in tilecache or geoserver SLD or where else?

Thanks in advance..
Louvy Joseph