[Tilecache] tilecache and ironpython

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Oct 31 08:48:57 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 01:29:57PM +0100, Steven M. Ottens wrote:
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 10:51:48AM +0100, Steven M. Ottens wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>We're trying to get tilecache running with IIS at a decent speed.
> >>Since there's no mod_python for IIS we were considering to use
> >>IronPython to run Tilecache, in the hope that it would be better
> >>integrated with IIS. I'm stuck at IIS for this project but I'm hoping
> >>I can still use TileCache, but it needs to be fast.
> >>
> >>So my questions:
> >>Has anyone tried to use IronPython to run TileCache?
> >>
> >Yes. It doesn't work.
> >
> Ok, that's not too encouraging :)

It was something about urllib not working at the time. IronPython 2 or
something like that was supposed to change the situation. I never
followed up. It would probably be worth making the attempt before
writing your own, but don't hold high hopes.

> >>Has anyone figured an alternative way to run TileCache at a decent
> >>speed in IIS?
> >>
> >"Install Apache and mod_python."
> >
> That's what I thought, but IIS is a must since it runs ASP.NET sites and
> they're not willing to replace a working setup with something that might
> work :(

Well, I'm not arguing that they replace IIS, but there's no need to have
the tiles served from the same server as the rest of the setup. Hell,
you could probably modify the default tilecache_http_server to use the
ForkingMixin and just use that as a standalone service (though it has
nowhere near the level of polish that Apache does in terms of startup
scripts, etc.)

The labs.metacarta.com server doesn't run TileCache at all, for example,
despite the popular myth that it does :) (The TileCache URLs are
forwarded to a non-public backend server.)