[Tilecache] tilecache and ironpython

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Oct 31 09:51:48 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 07:39:16AM -0600, Linda Rawson wrote:
> I'm not using IronPython but I am using IIS with a asp.net front end.  I
> haven't see the performance issues because once the images are on disk it
> flys.

'flies' is relative. TileCache can serve a couple hundred tiles a second
-- under CGI on IIS, you won't even get a tenth of that due to Python
startup times, and your machine will perform much more sluggishly when
you do.

Per-tile, the time is great -- probably 5-10 times faster than direct
WMS access, if not more for some slow WMS servers. However, compared to
access via mod_python or similar, the load time is crap, and doesn't
scale when you need a service for dozens of simulataneous users.