[Tilecache] setup tilecache under apache/linux...

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Sep 8 09:41:01 EDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 08:32:50AM -0500, John Cole wrote:
> Well, things are staring to work for me :-)  I'm now down to TC issues I've
> seen before.
>
> Christopher, do you have a benchmark program for TC?  I'd like to compare
> our Win/CGI version to Linux/CGI and Linux/mod_python (the systems are
> identical and fairly beefy).

All my numbers are based on running the seed program (tilecache_seed.py)
-- it reports the number of tiles per second that it is loading. It's
not the most accurate benchmark in the world (since it does sequential
access), but it is a useful one.

Other than that, I don't have anything.

Note that under mod_python, your Apache settings are really important:
You'll want to ensure NumRequestsPerChild is relatively high, since the
startup time for TileCache is somewhat high, especially with many layers
or if you are using Mapnik rendering.