[Tilecache] Help with resolution setup..

Mark Deneen mdeneen+tiles at saucontech.com
Tue Jan 8 11:59:23 EST 2008

I am trying to figure out what units "resolution" is in.  I am using the
following config:

[basic]
type=WMS
url=http://this.is.internal.only.but.it.is.a.geoserver.wms.handler/
layers=basic
extension=png
metaTile=true
size=256,256
srs=EPSG:4326
resolutions=0.1
bbox=-180.0,-90.0,180.0,90.0

Let me preface this by saying that I am fairly new at GIS and
cartography. With that being said....

I would like to think that 0.1 means 36 degrees / 360 (from my bbox) =
0.1.  This should make the world (in EPSG:4326) 50 tiles, 10 east/west
columns of  5 north/south rows. Obviously, since I am writing this
email, this isn't working for me.  I am using world wind requests and at
resolution 0.1, I end up with 6 tiles N/S and 13 E/W.  I really want to
understand what resolution is, and how I can calculate it.  Currently, I
want to dice the map up into 36 degree squares for testing.

Can someone shed some light on what resolution is, or where I can read
more about it?

Thanks,
Mark