[Tilecache] Tilecache Authentication

Gissur Þórhallsson gissur at loftmyndir.is
Mon Jan 14 06:25:51 EST 2008

Hello

Best begin with a short introduction, my name is Gissur and I work as a software engineer for a small GIS company in Iceland.

I am running tilecache 2.01 on a Windows 2003 Server. I'm caching aerial photographs from an Intergraph WMS server and vector maps from Geoserver.

Since data security is something of an issue for me, I've locked both WMS's to accept only requests from the tilecache server (via IP filtering).

The problem now is that the tilecache server is still wide open. I'm wondering whether there are any tried and tested ways of authenticating calls to the tilecache?

Most(if not all) of the clients will be running OpenLayers, which in turn might not even be password protected, so I'm kinda exploring my options before I delve into patching tilecache myself. What I envision doing is setting up a session parameter from the serverside code that runs the OL client - since I want to make as sure as possible that no calls come from outside the OL client.

But I was unable to find said code in my distribution of tilecache, so I assume it's not in the build as of yet - anybody have any thoughts on that?

Kind regards,

Gissur

Checked by AVG Free Edition.