[Tilecache] trac ?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Jan 21 22:03:28 EST 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 03:06:22PM +0100, Attila Csipa wrote:
> On Sunday 20 January 2008 14:21:19 Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > > What is the preferred way of opening tickets/patches for tilecache ? I
> >
> > Sending them to the mailing list. trac is too much of a headache to
> > maintain for such a small project: I had one set up at one point, and
> > there were two valid tickets + 350 spam tickets when I shut it down.
>
> In that case please take a look at my Wednesday 16:49:43CET post with the
> If-Modified-Since related patch. I need (and use) it for reasons we talked
> about earlier, the question is whether it is appropriate for the general
> public.

The implementation seems sane in general, though I'm not sure I like the
extra cost of doing an md5sum should be turned on by default, but rather
an option. Also, before the patch goes into trunk, the other handler
functions will need to be modified to support the change as well.
Lastly, I'm not sure that I want to change the behavior of
dispatchRequest, because I knwo that there are people who use it on its
own. This one bothers me less than the others.

So, if the patch were to:
 * Add support for the other handler functions
 * Make the caching header stuff a service-level metadata option
 * Ensure that the default behavior of dispatchRequest continues to be
   to return only two args, and only return 3 if the service-level
   metadata option described above is 'turned on'

Then I would probably take it without much question. As is, the general
principle is sound, but I'm not convinced that the implementation is
complete enough to merit pushing it into trunk yet.