[Tilecache] Reduce the size of the PNGs (1/2)

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Jul 15 09:42:33 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 01:22:48PM +0000, Guillaume Lathoud wrote:
> Our main modifications:
>
>  * Permit to significantly reduce the size of the PNG files using:
>    http://www.imagemagick.org
>    http://pmt.sourceforge.net/pngcrush/

I worry about integrating more dependancies, but I assume you've taken
this into account and made this all optional.

>  * Permit to do antialiasing on top of a WMSLayer.

I'm not sure I understand this? Why would you do it? I'd assume that the
WMS server -- which has the original data -- would always be in a better
position to give you the best possible image for a given bounding box.

> We appreciate a lot the work done by MetaCarta Labs on TileCache, and
> we hope that our modifications can be useful to anyone.

Please:
 * Checkout TileCache from SVN
   http://svn.tilecache.org/trunk/tilecache/
 * Apply your changes to that checkout
 * If you have any added/new files in the checkout, type 'svn add' on
   the filename
 * Type 'svn diff', and send the result as a single patch as an
   attachment to the list.
 * Fill out http://tilecache.org/ccla.txt and send the result via email
   to labs at metacarta.com.

Once you do these, I'll take a look at it; looking through the existing
code for diffs is too time consuming for me, but diffs/patches are much
easier to read and more likely to be applied.

Thanks in advance!