[Tilecache] Mapnik Tilecache Memory Error

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Sun Jun 8 07:33:51 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I'm trying to setup a server rendering mapnik tiles on demand using
tilecache.

It seems to be working intermittently but most requests result in the
following response being returned to the browser when requesting new tiles.

An error occurred: failed mapping file: Cannot allocate memory
 File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Service.py", line 221, in
modPythonHandler
   host )
 File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Service.py", line 205, in
dispatchRequest
   return self.renderTile(tile, params.has_key('FORCE'))
 File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Service.py", line 138, in renderTile
   data = layer.render(tile)
 File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Layer.py", line 411, in render
   return self.renderTile(tile)
 File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Layers/Mapnik.py", line 38, in
renderTile
   mapnik.load_map(m,self.mapfile)

If I refresh the tile it eventually gets generated but sometimes takes
several tries.  The apache access_log shows the request as a 500.  The
apache error_log doesn't contain anything.  I have the PythonDebug
directive set to On.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Regards,
Brett