[Tilecache] WindowsXP + lots of tiles = unstable

Martin Ouellet geomartino at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 10:07:23 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I have this configuration for my OL/TC/Mapserver application:

Hardware:
Intel CORE 2 QUAD 2.4GHZ
2 Seagate hard disk of 500go each mounted in RAID-0
4go of RAM
Windows XP, TileCache on Apache (mod_python)

Data:
9 levels of zoom
between 5 and 6 millions of tiles representing approximately 25-30go space
on disk.

I was able to generate tiles for the first 8 levels but while seeding the
last one, the process suddently stop.
So I reboot the machine and BOOM, the harddisk was no longer recognize.

Does someone ever experienced unstable behavior on a WindowsXP plateform ?
Could I expect a better behavior on Windows Server 2003?
What would be "the" robust configuration to support that amont (not in size
but in the number of files on disk) of data ?

thank you in advance!

Martin