[Tilecache] extents, resolutions, etc

pawprint_net scott at pawprint.net
Mon May 5 13:59:04 EDT 2008

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! :clap:

I have spent 3 months trying to figure this out!

... I guess I have one point for clarification though: There does seem to be
a "standard" for resolutions used on most of the data sources - and
deviating from that prevents one using any typical tilecache servers out
there (metacarta for example) because the requested resolution won't be
available. As a result one of the things I found helpful was to always set
the array of resolutions to ensure I was always dealing with the "standard"
set. When I was starting out I tried using the numZoomLevels and let the
resolutions get set automatically - but that caused a whole host of
compatibility problems between data sets.

I have no idea what the math behind these standard ones is though - do you
know if there is actually some kind of standard here - or is it just
coincidence? Pretty much all the O/L examples stick to these (or a sub/super
set of them)

resolutions=1.40625, 0.3515625, 0.087890625, 0.02197265625, 0.0054931640625,
0.001373291015625, 0.00034332275390625, 8.58306884765625e-05,
4.291534423828125e-05