[Tilecache] Re solutions issues

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Thu Nov 20 15:41:09 EST 2008

> Doubtful. Are you using TileCache CGI? If so, that's your problem.

Indeed.

> > As an aside, we are transitioning from a PHP Mapscript application,
> > namely Pmapper, to Openlayers.  We still experience a faster image load
> > with Pmapper even though it uses the slower Mapscript.  Either it does a
> > better job at querying MapServer for the right portion of the GeoTIFF
> > image or it is just plain more efficient.
>
> If you're using CGI, it's the latter. Switch to mod_python. (Comparing
> CGI to mod_php is unfair.)

Right.  I went back at my install notes and I tried installing TC in
standalone WSGI mode a few months ago.  I made it part of the way (I'm
on windows, so I need to tweak a few lines in a few TC files ...), so
given I didn't get it to work I reverted to CGI.  Had I known about the
speed difference, I'd have worked harder at the WSGI implementation.  I
think it should be stressed in the docs that the cgi implementation is
slower.  For noobs like me at least.

I didn't find mod_python in the list of so's of my windows Apache, so do
you suggest I get mod_python to work or the WSGI standalone mode ?  I
understand the latter means another server on another port, but is there
a speed advantage using Paste over Apache ?

Thanx a lot for your timely comment.  I was about to abandon TC ...

Yves