[Tilecache] Re solutions issues

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Fri Nov 21 12:38:37 EST 2008

Chris,

I half solved my issue.  Here goes -- windows users listen ;-) -- :

I installed mod_python with the windows installer.  Since the Python I
use is *not* the system Python (C:\Python24), I had to manually edit the
registry so that files are copied in the right site-packages dir.
(Turns out you don't really need to do that : just copying the
site-packages mod_python dir to your local Python does the trick; see
below).  The thing is, Apache still looks for files in my system Python
and of course it won't find mod_python in the system Python
site-packages because files were written to may local Python.  To test,
I copied the mod_python dir into in my system Python site-packages dir
and ... Bingo.  Indeed, the speed difference is staggering.  Please
all : do not use tilecache.cgi (my humble recommendation) !

Now, my problem is half-solved because I still can't get Apache to look
for the mod_python files on my "local" Python.  I set a system
PYTHONPATH variable to point to my local Python and tried PassEnv
PYTHONPATH to Apache to no avail.  It still wants the files on my system
Python.  I tried setting PYTHONPATH to include also the site-packages
dir, both as an environment variable and in the registry to no avail.
Any Apache wizs ?

Oh and how I came to do that I owe to this post :
http://www.mail-archive.com/python-dev@httpd.apache.org/msg01795.html,
section on "make_obcallback: could not import mod_python.apache" where
there is a mention how multiple Pythons on windows may lead to
mod_python issues.

Cheers,

Yves