[Tilecache] Quick panning with overlays

Ivan Grcic ivan.grcic at geofoto.hr
Wed Nov 26 07:53:30 EST 2008

HI all,

maybe the right question would be: And how many overlay layers do you
have Yves?

I remember one OL user was complaining about speed, and he had like 80
layers :D Keeping it under 3 layers at a time should do the trick i
think. People should take more care with number of layers. Instead of
piling up the layers, one should group layers in wms request: you
loose some speed on rendering it, but if you use caching its well
worth it ;) And your browser and bandwith will also be happier ;)

Cheers,
Ivan

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Christopher Schmidt
<crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:

>> > I remember seeing that, but I dont' know where.  If you have a pointer
>> > nearby, I'd appreciate it.

>> > Same as above :-(
>>
>> These are standard HTTP optimization tricks, and are not specific to
>> TC in any way.  See this article for more details:
>>
>>     http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/04/11/performance-research-part-4/
>
> And for OpenLayers specifically:
>
>  http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/multiserver.html
>
> This only has a base layer -- I would recommend using one set of
> hostnames for base layers, and one for overlays (2 and 2 would make four
> total).
>
> Another optimization technique is to limit the buffer:
>
>  http://dev.openlayers.org/apidocs/files/OpenLayers/Layer/Grid-js.html#OpenLayers.Layer.Grid.buffer
>
> Setting it to 0 would result in the minimum.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Christopher Schmidt
> MetaCarta