[Tilecache] date support in tilecache

Neil Best nbest at LANWORTH.COM
Tue Sep 2 17:52:58 EDT 2008

Has there ever been any discussion of extending TileCache to support
additional parameters to determine the structure of the cache tree and the
requests to the map service?  In my Mapserver application I use a URL query
parameter "date" to tell Mapserver which GRASS map to read from a collection
of maps that contain periodic data.  I realize that building a new cache
every day is problematic, but TileCache would be worth the trouble for me if
I could just populate the upper levels of the cache automatically and then
let it be populated on the fly from there so at least the second request for
a given tile would be quicker.  As I understand the system currently I would
have to automate the creation of additional TC layers as concatenations of
their Mapserver layer names and the date and append those to tilecache.cfg.
The profligation of tilecache.cfg entries is not appealing.  Is there a
mechanism for configuring TC dynamically when it is running persistently, as
in under FastCGI?  I understand that these features may not have broad
appeal because the typical use case involves maps of a more static nature,
whereas I am looking at caching a large archive that has an important time
dimension (mainly due to reprojection and GDAL GRASS driver impacts),
although the cache could conceivably have additional dimensions other than
time embedded in the URL.  Thanks for any thoughts.

Neil