[Tilecache] Active community för Tilcache?

bjorn.hagstrom at orebro.se bjorn.hagstrom at orebro.se
Mon Sep 8 05:06:31 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm a new subscriber to this list and I have a few very specific questions
that I need answers to. I'm hoping you can give me the ones I want:)

I'm involved in a project (I am a usability guy, not a coder) creating
interactive maps for the county I live in. We are using openlayers and
would like to use tilecache. The consultants setting it up have only done
so a few times and it worked well on Apache but they had trouble on IIS. Is
this the way it generally is? Is Apache the recommended web server for
Tilecache?

The guys running the servers here are a bit hesitant in using Apache. They
say they have had problems with apps bundling Apache and then not updating
it regularly. This makes it hard to patch Apache and we can get an unsecure
environmnt as a result. I like that they think about this stuff but I'm
wondering if this will be a problem for us? Will using tilecahce make us
dependant on tilecache updating before we can apply patches to Apache? How
active is the community around Tilecache? Are there unreasonable delays
before updates are released?

Thanks in advance.

/Björn