[Tilecache] tilecache crashes reducible

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Sep 8 07:49:19 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 01:47:04AM -0700, 2StepForward wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I have a problem with the seeding process of some image data.
> I run a Linux OS and GeoServer as server support. It takes 256 MB space for
> image opertation and I get this error from tilecache:
>
> ServiceExceptionReport SYSTEM
> "http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.1.1/WMS_exception_1_1_1.dtd">
> <ServiceExceptionReport version="1.1.1" >   <ServiceException>
>       java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
> Java heap space
> Details:

This is not a TileCache crash, this is a GeoServer crash. Sounds like
you ran it out of RAM. I have no idea bout anything about GeoServer, but
all TileCache does is talk through WMS, so there's nothing it's doing
here that should be able to kill Java in any special way.

> I don't know why, because I have give a amount of 600 MB memory to the
> GeoServer and same things will happend.

How did you do this? Using the equivilant of java -Xmx 600M or
something?

> Maybe not the tilecache will force this problem, could it be. Further the
> geoserver crashes by production of some fetched image data?
>
> Has anyone a idea what the problem could be, or a tip where I could search
> for this crashes

The GeoServer list is a good place to start, but you probably also ant
to upgrae to the lastest version of GeoServver if your' enot already on
it.