[Tilecache] bad quality with 8bit AGG PNG images and metaTile=true

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Thu Mar 5 13:43:15 EST 2009

Guillaume Sueur wrote:
> I would suggest you output 24bits PNG and have them reduced to 8bits
> overnight with the excellent pngnq lib. (http://pngnq.sourceforge.net/)

We do similar, and we call it "reducing" the tiles. We generate them at
24 because it looks great, then run ImageMagick's convert to scale them
down to 8. No visible loss of quality, but a 40% reduction in file size
and therefore download time.

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth    BS, A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
System Administrator, Lead Programmer

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA