[Tilecache] PIL dependency

Gilles Bassière gilles.bassiere at makina-corpus.org
Mon Mar 30 03:58:39 EDT 2009

Hi TileCache users and developers ,

I usually run tilecache on Debian/Ubuntu systems. In order to use
meta-tiling, I install the python-imaging package. Unfortunately, in my
current project, PIL was installed using the an egg (PILwoTk). One
consequence is that /path/to/pythonX.X/site-packages/PIL is not appended
to sys.path and eventually "import Image" is not legal.

Even if this is possible on most systems, I believe (please tell me if
I'm wrong) that the strictly correct way to import this module is
"from PIL import Image"
or
"import PIL.Image as Image".

Attached is the patch that I applied to work around the problem.

Regards,
Gilles