[Tilecache] ArcGIS 9.3.1 and TileCache

Lis hallgren.lisa at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 09:10:18 EST 2010

Hello

I want to use ArcGIS to read WMS:es that uses TileCache (my organisation
uses ArcGIS and it is not us that has set up the WMS). I can access the WMS
without problem but prestanda is poor. I do not know what WMS server is used
but cache is made by TileCache (with excellent prestanda in my own test
OpenLayers client btw).

I've been searching for additional information about using ArcGIS togeather
with TileCache. I have a response from ESRI that a WMS that uses TileCache
to speed up the access is not compatible with ArcGIS. ArcGIS will ignore the
cache and access the WMS directly (resulting in prestanda problems).

I found a post from 2008 regarding this, has there been any movement since?
Have anyone out there stumbled into this problem more recently? I'm locked
to ArcGIS and my WMS, am I stuck with poor prestanda or do I have to make a
WMS out of a WMS (let ArcGIS Server read the original WMS and create a new
whose cache ArcGIS can read)?

I like neither of the solutions I can think of, are there any better?

Best regards, Lis