[Tilecache] Concurrent Seeding

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Mon Jun 6 08:16:13 EDT 2011

Hi Bill,

On 06.06.2011, at 09:23, Bill Teluk wrote:
> I have a lot of data that I would like to seed the TileCache cache with.
> There's so much that it's really slow to just run a cache seeding script eg.
> it took 3.5 days to run it the last time, for a total of 4.5Gig of tiles.
> This time I'd like to load up a LOT more areas to seed.
>
> I'm doing the seeding on a basis of lots of selected areas - there might be
> hundreds of different extents specified in the script file.
>
> Is it possible to divide the script into say 10 different scripts, and
> execute them all concurrently?  (eg. background the jobs.)

There is TileForge which is a script that uses TileCache for seeding. But, I don't know if it is maintained and the documentation is sparse. http://dev.mapfish.org/sandbox/camptocamp/tileforge/
There was a presentation at the FOSS4G 2010: http://www.slideshare.net/cedricmoullet/cloud-computing-and-tile-generation-foss4g-2010
Don't know if thats something for you.

I wrote the seed tool for MapProxy which is multi-threaded and supports seeds tasks from geometries (from shapefiles for example). MapProxy uses the same cache structure on disc, so you might be able to use mapproxy-seed to seed your TileCache.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Tonnhofer    | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG    | http://omniscale.de