[Tilecache] Cache performance

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 10:15:49 PDT 2012

I'm trying to boost the speed of our tilecache. Some of the things I am
exploring are:

1. How to get the OS (Ubuntu 11.10 server) to use disk caching better.

2. What file system (and parameters, like block size) is best for a large
tilecache?

3. What are you seeing in benefits by optimizing the tiles? (i.e., reducing
JPG quality, shrinking PNGs)

I did see a noticeable performance increase using MOD_PYTHON but I would
get tiles not rendering in very inconsistent patterns. Fast-CGI was slower
but I get perfect consistency.

-Eric