[Tiling] compact tile format anyone

Gabriel Roldán groldan at opengeo.org
Tue Dec 21 10:19:59 EST 2010

Hey tilers,

looks like for ArcGIS 10 ESRI came to the same conclusion than us at the
break out meeting: that a "compact tiling format" that stores multiple
tiles in a single file would be cool:
<http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_dotnet_help/index.html#/Inside_the_compact_cache_storage_format/00930000165z000000/>
of course "The internal architecture of the bundle is not publicly
documented by ESRI"

But wouldn't it be nice if we defined our own thing collaboratively
using this list as a communication board? Then tile blob stores could be
used interchangeably by our projects?

If interested, we could start thinking about this. Sounds like a nice
new year project to me.

Cheers,
Gabriel
--
Gabriel Roldan
groldan at opengeo.org
Expert service straight from the developers