[Tiling] Steps towards a better filemanagement

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Mon Apr 11 04:32:06 EDT 2011

  Hi List,

Last week I met Oliver Tonnhofer at FOSSGIS in Germany. We discussed the
problems of tiling and especially tile-cache-management. My immediate
problems are too many files to manage (for instance backups), updating
of tiles, smart seeding (seeding the most popular regions first).
He said that he already had done some benchmarks on SQLite and it
appears to be fast enough to serve tiles. So our idea is to use SQLite
as a tilestore. Storing both the tiles and its metadata. Most likely
using one database per tilecache-layer or maybe one database per
tilecache-layer and zoomlevel.

Any thoughts from the crowd on this idea?

Steven