[Tiling] Steps towards a better filemanagement

Andreas Trawoeger atrawog at datenscheibe.org
Mon Apr 11 07:38:26 EDT 2011

Hi Steven!

2011/4/11 Steven M. Ottens <steven at minst.net>

> Last week I met Oliver Tonnhofer at FOSSGIS in Germany. We discussed the
> problems of tiling and especially tile-cache-management. My immediate
> problems are too many files to manage (for instance backups), updating of
> tiles, smart seeding (seeding the most popular regions first).
> He said that he already had done some benchmarks on SQLite and it appears
> to be fast enough to serve tiles. So our idea is to use SQLite as a
> tilestore. Storing both the tiles and its metadata. Most likely using one
> database per tilecache-layer or maybe one database per tilecache-layer and
> zoomlevel.
>
> Any thoughts from the crowd on this idea?

I'm not really sure if switching to SQLite is going to make
tile-cache-management a lot easier in the long run. SQLite would be perfect
for small and somewhat static tilestores or offline caches for mobile
applications.
But once they get bigger and have constant read & write access databases get
notorously difficult to backup.

Having thousand of files can be hard to handle. But there are myriad of
tools like e.g. rsync that makes handling them a lot easier.

What I would really appreciate would be some kind of standardized tile
access log format that could be parsed and used for tile seeding and an
easier way to export complete tile sets.

Currently it is extremly difficult to export a complete tile set from e.g.
from MapProxy to TMS format or export the data into Rastelite and it would
be great if that could change in the future.

cu andreas