[Tiling] FOSS4G BOF?

Gabriel Roldan groldan at opengeo.org
Sat Aug 20 13:19:57 EDT 2011

Thanks Thomas it'll be good to have a tiling BOF.

I've a topic that might be of interest as this is not the first time
someone asks me about it.
To start with, you'll have to forgive me about my ignorance of how
other tiling servers work, I just contribute to GWC but it's not like
I play a lot with other tiling servers.
But the problem we face is that (to the extent of my knowledge) there
are no pre-defined "grid sets" for EPSG coordinate reference systems
so it's hard to configure "tiling schemes" or "gridsets" for CRS's
other than, say, 4326 and 900913. Not to talk about making them
"inter-operable" like in making tiled layers coming from different
tile servers match.
Now, the EPSG database contains each (or almost each) CRS's area of
validity with unit of measurement information and all. But also I
guess most servers don't need/want to rely on the EPSG database as
it's just easier for them to work on pure cartesian space with some
independently of most CRS details but perhaps bounds/tile origin
coordinate.

So If this makes sense may be we could try to define a common/shared
database of pre-defined "tiling schemes"/"grid sets" for most EPSG
CRS's based on the EPSG database information?

Cheers,
Gabriel

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 8:45 AM, thomas bonfort
<thomas.bonfort at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've started a topic for a BOF session here:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2011_Breakout_Sessions#Proposed_Topics
> Please add additional topics that could be discussed if you are interested.
>
> regards,
> thomas

Gabriel Roldan
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org