[Tiling] Tilestore Benchmarks

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Mon May 2 12:49:37 EDT 2011

On 02.05.2011, at 16:34, Arne Kepp wrote:

> These results are great, doesn't look like SQLite should not be a bottleneck. I have basically the same question as Steve, is SQLite better at getting the attention of the filesystem cache? (What does the memory allocation look like towards the end of those runs ?)

The test run is triggered by a shell script, so each of the 200 read tests is independent and it only improves because of the fs cache. I don't have any mem stats, but from my observations the free memory decreased while the used cache memory increased until it was full.

> Things you can hopefully add, to make it easier to compare the results:
> What filesystem did you use during these tests?
> What options was the filesystem mounted with, such as noatime or writeback caching? (The latter is key if you compare with async sqlite.)
> What is the block size of the filesystem?

Default Debian 5.0 installation with ext3 (relatime) but no other tuning. I think the default block size is 4k, can't check that right now.

Sure, there is room for tuning, but I wanted to test the performance on a 'standard' system.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Tonnhofer    | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG    | http://omniscale.de