[Ubuntu] Hello and question

Bill Kristan wkristan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 14:53:13 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I haven't had a chance to try out the R integration yet, but I tried out gdal-
mrsid-build on my home computer (which is an AMD 64 platform), on kubuntu
jaunty, and it worked like a charm. I tried the following:

gdal_translate on one of the example files distributed with LizardTech's SDK
r.in.gdal through the GRASS plugin in qgis
r.in.gdal through GRASS
Display and query (using the identify features tool) of mrsid files in qgis
Extraction of mrsid pixel values to a point file using the point sampling tool
plugin

So, basically, everything I've tried is working as expected on my amd64 system
for mrsid.

I tried to open one of the jpeg2000 files included in the SDK, and that crashed
qgis, with another "undefined symbol" error:

/usr/bin/qgis.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gdal16plugins/gdal_MrSID.so:
undefined symbol: _ZN14jp2_family_src4openEP21kdu_compressed_source

I'll try out the R integration tomorrow and see if it works for me.

I'd really like to be as helpful as possible to this effort - unfortunately I'm
going to be out of town with just a little netbook to work from for about a
month starting later this week. When I get back I'll be contacting the list
for suggestions about how to help out (such as, would it be useful to have a
VM set up with 8.04 on it so I can test the repositories against that version
of Ubuntu?). I can work on some howto's for the Wiki right away. It's pretty
exciting how much functionality has appeared all of a sudden on this platform!

Cheers,
Bill