[Ubuntu] Re: [DebianGIS] problem in ubuntugis grass 6.4.0rc6 package

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 17:48:17 EDT 2010

Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> COPYING and GPL.TXT are files stripped explicitly because
> superfluous due to Debian copyright file.

note that this COPYING file is not the standard "Hi this is
generic licensing instructions for a GNU project..", although it
is not dissimilar. If it is removed "g.version -c" will also fail.
I consider Help->About->License and "g.version -c" to be part of
our responsibility to let the user know their rights, as mandated
by the GPL.

if COPYING has moved to /usr/share/doc/grass/, and GPL.TXT removed
in favour of /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2, we should replace
them with symlinks in /usr/lib/grass64/, or patch the GUIs (x3)
and g.version to use the new paths.

I had a look in rules and patches/ but it isn't obvious to me
where this gets done. (?)

thanks,
Hamish