[Ubuntu] Proposal - Cleaning up dependencies/repos

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Wed Nov 24 12:37:46 EST 2010

I agree that RCs (perhaps excepting grass) should stay in unstable. However,
it would be nice to know if there are real issues in qgis/geodjango with
spatialite 2.4 rc2 before rebuilding packages in the stable ppa. Do you think
you could test that? I'm also uncertain if it's a good thing to downgrade the
spatialite package in the repo. But if there are issues, we'll do it. In the
future, we will avoid to put RCs in stable.

About gpsprune, have added ubuntugis unstable PPA as dependency in your ppa?
If not, it would be useful to recompile your gpsprune package with the
ubuntugis dependencies and retest it. (btw, I have absolutely what gpsprune is
and what its dependencies are)

Thanks
Alan

On November 23, 2010 05:11:05 pm Alex Mandel wrote:
> So I ran into an interesting quagmire of dependencies.
> The moral of the story, I would like to propose that RC candidates of
> apps stay in "unstable" and not trickle into "stable" and maybe not even
> into "testing" (this could be a little looser).
>
> Particularly the issue I ran into is that spatialite 2.3.1 isn't in the
> repos at all, Lucid has 2.3.0 but it seems stuck on geos 3.1.0 which is
> making my QGIS crash. I would upgrade to spatialite 2.4 RC but I'm not
> sure that plays nice with GeoDjango yet.
>
> So under my idea
> Stable would have 2.3.0 or 2.3.1, QGIS 1.5(Could be upgraded after we
> know 1.6 is safe)
> Testing would also have 2.3.1, QGIS 1.6
> Unstable would have 2.4 RC x
>
> That way in testing there would be a nice reliable set of QGIS, gdal,
> spatialite etc that are known to be fairly good and unstable would have
> more cutting edge stuff. I realize maverick included spatialite 2.4RC
> and think that may have actually been a mistake since the author admits
> it's a bit buggy (not to say 2.3.x series doesn't have it's issues). But
> more importantly some underlying changes could cause issues for QGIS,
> GeoDjango etc. In summary having some slightly older version no longer
> available in Debian or Ubuntu might actually be a + to the everyday user
> if the distro jumps the gun on an app(in stable of course).
>
> This needs a little fine tuning obviously since GRASS tends to have
> really long release cycles and maybe could be summed as the "testing"
> ppa has the last known stable release.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> PS: I'm more than willing to help package, just still new at it. Looks
> like gpsprune for Lucid worked and I would love to have that copied to
> ubuntugis.

Alan Boudreault
Mapgears
http://www.mapgears.com