[Ubuntu] qgis warnings and failure after upgrading to 1.7.2 and 1.7.3

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Dec 18 20:59:08 EST 2011

On 12/18/2011 05:39 PM, Donovan Cameron wrote:
> *I recently upgraded QGIS from the ubuntugis-unstable repository and it
> seems to not be working correctly anymore. That seems like a pun...*
> *
> *
> *LTS 10.04 (Lucid Lynx): QGIS 1.7.3 (fresh install of ubuntu)*
> *11.04 (Natty Narwhal): QGIS 1.7.2*
>
> *I get the following errors:*
> *Warning: loading of qgis translation failed
> [/usr/share/qgis/i18n//qgis_en_CA]*
> *Warning: loading of qt translation failed
> [/usr/share/qt4/translations/qt_en_CA]*
> ***Warning: void DBusMenuExporterPrivate::addAction(QAction*, int): Already
> tracking action "Project Properties..." under id 104 *
> *****Warning: void DBusMenuExporterPrivate::addAction(QAction*, int):
> Already tracking action "Options..." under id 108 *
> ***Warning: void DBusMenuExporterPrivate::addAction(QAction*, int): Already
> tracking action "Snapping Options..." under id 109 *
> ***Warning: void DBusMenuExporterPrivate::addAction(QAction*, int): Already
> tracking action "Configure shortcuts..." under id 107 *
> ***Warning: void DBusMenuExporterPrivate::addAction(QAction*, int): Already
> tracking action "Style manager..." under id 106 *
> ***Warning: void DBusMenuExporterPrivate::addAction(QAction*, int): Already
> tracking action "Custom CRS..." under id 105 *
> *Warning: Couldn't load Python support library: Cannot load library
> /lib/qgispython: (/lib/libqgispython.so: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory)*
> *The warnings with the ** are only seen on the natty machine running qgis
> 1.7.2.*
>
> *When I try to click "Settings > Options..." QGIS fails unexpectedly with
> the following*:
> *Fatal: ASSERT: "myResult == 0" in file
> /build/buildd/qgis-1.7.2/src/app/qgsoptions.cpp, line 824*
> *Aborted*
> *
> *
> *I have a slow internet connection with limited bandwidth so I want to
> avoid re-downloading anything. I already spent the better half of the day
> upgrading. So of course, any suggestions are more than welcome.*
> *
> *
> *I also noticed that the option to "Fetch Python Plugins" is gone as well!*
> *
> *
> *Is it possible to uninstall QGIS but leave its package files so I can
> simply re-install from the cached packages on disk - found in
> /var/cache/apt/archives?*
> *
> *
> *Would the following example work?:*
> *sudo apt-get purge qgis**
> *sudo apt-get install qgis* python-qgis**
>

> *PS: Is there an effective way to search the archived mailing list to see
> if this is already answered out there?*

Generally sudo apt-get remove packagename does not actually remove the
cached installer, though that depends on your settings. You can review
your settings for apt preferences via command line text files but
synaptic makes it much easier to check. apt-cache is where those files
are stored. The gui also makes it pretty easy to just say reinstall.

I would make sure to do:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get remove qgis
sudo apt-get install qgis* python-qgis*

If you use the gui I think you can say reinstall, but I don't know what
the cli equivalent of that is.

Note you may need to specifically apt-get remove some of the qgis 1.7.2
packages like libqgis1.7.2

I have checked that the 1.7.3 packages are up for all the distro
variants and it's seems fine on my Natty machine. I'm guessing you just
had an out of date package list.

It doesn't look like we have ubuntugis archived on nabble yet, so I'll
work on getting that done to help future searches. Note searching the
qgis lists on nabble might return some useful answers too.

Thanks,
Alex