[Ubuntu] Re: Making a Deb [Was :#731: SVN commit access for LiveDVD]

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 22:14:44 EDT 2011

Alex wrote:
> PPAs (Personal Package Archives) are outside the standard
> Ubuntu and
> Debian repositories. They partly exist to allow the
> community to get
> debs up sooner than would happen if you have to wait for a
> release of
> Ubuntu/Debian in order to get your package out there. It
> also lets you
> publish versions whenever they are ready and backport them
> to whichever distro revisions you want.

[sorry about yahoo's linewrap]

fyi/
I note in my new xubu 11.04 test box that by default ubuntu is
now adding extras.ubuntu.com to sources.list for new packages
which missed the official inclusion deadlines. There seems to
be some QA, but I'm not sure how much.

I would suggest to disable this for our builds, and require that
folks explicitly add their personal/PPAs to the sources.list.d/
dir.

best,
Hamish