[Ubuntu] using mapscript in python virtualenv

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 15:18:04 EDT 2012

Hi list
I am trying to use install the mapscript python package inside a virtualenv.

When trying to install:

pip install mapscript

mapscript_wrap.c:2564:23: fatal error: mapserver.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

So I'm missing the mapserver header files. Where can I get them?
Should there be a mapserver-dev package? Do I have to manually compile
mapserver? Also I think there should be a mapserver-config utility to
aid in locating libraries (there is one for gdal, which I am using
successfully in this virtualenv), but I am not finding it.

Thanks