[Ubuntu] Proposal: dropping hardy support

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Tue Apr 10 09:13:41 EDT 2012

Hi all,

As you might know, UbuntuGIS is following DebianGIS development to build
its packages. Hardy has already 4 years now and building packages for
this distribution is getting more and more work. Everytime, we have to
revert a lot of changes from the debianGIS packages since everything is
deprecated in hardy. As example we have to

- revert dependency versions
- revert policy update
- modify the rule file since it was using a too recent debhelper
- change the compatibility file
- remove various support in the build process since their dependencies
are not available in hardy
- trying to build and get failure!
- and so on...

My proposal is to drop the hardy support to allow us to focus on recent
ubuntu releases. The state of the repository will stay as it is now.
However, we will still provide support for *security fixes*.

Let me know your comments/opinions. I also apologize about this. The end
of support of hardy was planned for april 2013.... but packaging needs
time and it's hard to find helpers.

Regards,
Alan

--