[Ubuntu] QGIS Crash on Opening Project

Lee muellerl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 13:47:38 EDT 2012

Gang,

I have been using QGIS at my workplace on our windows cloud. I have
developed several project files which use various shapefiles located on our
server. QGIS works fine when using it on windows to access these files.

Recently, I was able to crash our cloud while attempting to perform some
operations on rather large datasets. They have since moved me off the cloud
to my own computer. Naturally, I requested Ubuntu. Unfortunately, when I
map our server drives to my machine and attempt to open my QGIS files, I
first get the general warning about "earlier versions of QGIS" before the
layers start to load and QGIS crashes completely.

To fix this, I attempted to copy the entire folder which houses the
projects onto my desktop and load the projects away from the server.
Unfortunately, this has caused the same crash. No errors. No warning. Just
a complete closing of QGIS.

Finally, I tried running it through the terminal to see what kind of
error's might be generated. This time, it did not crash completely but
gave an "std::bad_alloc" error. The terminal output for the session is as
follows:

lee at lee-desktop:~$ qgis
Warning: loading of qgis translation failed
[/usr/share/qgis/i18n//qgis_en_US]
Warning: loading of qt translation failed
[/usr/share/qt4/translations/qt_en_US]
Python support ENABLED :-)
Loaded : Plugin Installer (package: plugin_installer)
Loaded : fTools (package: fTools)
Warning: Loading a file that was saved with an older version of qgis (saved
in 1.7.0-Wroclaw, loaded in 1.7.4-Wroclaw). Problems may occur.

I see no errors, or output outside of the ordinary. Again, a direct opening
from a file produces a crash, through terminal produces an error.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Any suggestions for a fix or
work-around?

Thank you in advance.

--
all the best,