[Ubuntu] [SoC] UbuntuGIS Weekly Report 6

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 27 20:17:14 PDT 2013

Hi,

Jerome:

>>  I also fixed a small bug in
>>  libgdal-ecw-src package in Lucid, Precise and Quantal.

Andreas:
> I do not know this package but I'd recommend maintaining it
> in Debian GIS team would be reasonable to let it migrate smoothly
> to any Ubuntu version you need.

ECW is non-free, so not appropriate and generally not in line with
DebianGIS's goals. (note the -src in the package name) Others may
of course do as they like.

> Please add communication with Debian GIS on this list.  Both
> packages are inside Debian and it makes perfectly sense to do
> the work only once.

Osmosis is handled by the OSM Team not the DebianGIS Team (I have no
interest in conflating the two :), and I believe it is mentioned
here partly as an example of how to package java apps, not to hijack
maintainership*. I accept that sid is a couple minor versions out of
date for it, but I'm not sure what repackaging gains us besides
fixing the "java exceptions". I presume the idea is that the newer
releases fix that? [*] of course the package maintainers should be
in the loop, :)   http://packages.qa.debian.org/o/osmosis.html

Likewise Marble is maintained by KDE-Edu, the idea to repackage it
for UbuntuGIS comes from the OSGeo Live DVD where if we rebuilt
the Marble package without the KDE dependency, and drop a few
other non-critical KDE apps we can save a load of badly needed disc
space by avoiding installing lots of other KDE packages.

So neither really matters for DebianGIS or upstream.

regards,
Hamish