[Ubuntu] UbuntuGIS - Google Summer of Code

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Wed Jun 5 09:22:10 PDT 2013

Hi all,

As some of you may already know, we got a OSGeo Google Summer of Code
slot for UbuntuGIS. I'd like to introduce Jérome Vileneuve Larouche (a
student at The University of Québec at Chicoutimi) You may already have
seen his name on the list since he was working part time with Mapgears
during the last year. As the mentor of the project, I'm going to work
with Jérome to update and improve UbuntuGIS.

The main goals of the project is to:

- Train the student to be comfortable with debian/ubuntu packaging.
- Provide the UbuntuGIS-Stable Upgrade (biannual upgrade)
- Provide packages for Ubuntu Raring.
- Update UbuntuGIS unstable packages with all latest softwares
(Collaborate and contribute to DebianGIS)
- Collaborate with the user on the mailing list to be aware of the known
issues and  provide new package and/or fixes
- Provide upstream patches to various osgeo projects.
- Create a new repository for debian stable (7.0) with all current
up-to-date packages
- Create more documentation for users and new contributors. (Howtos,
tutorial)
- Collaborate with the OSGeo LiveDVD project (more packaging for their
setup?)

We would be happy to hear comments/suggestions from the community to
improve UbuntGIS.

Best Regards,
Alan

--