[Ubuntu] Compiling FGDB support for gdal in ubuntugis-unstable

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 06:32:28 PDT 2013

Hi,

I know that ESRI FGDB support isn't distributed with ubuntugis. I would
like to add it in a local build, but I can't build the package from
source. Here's what I did (this copied from my question at
http://gis.stackexchange.com/q/72535/5500):

  1. Enabled the source repository for [17]ubuntugis-unstable.
  2. Downloaded the Linux 64-bit [18]File Geodatabase API 1.3, installed
     it in /usr/local/FileGDB_API, added the necessary ldconfig setting,
     and successfully built and run the test programs. (As suggested
     procedure here: [19][Qgis-user] How to compile gdal with ESRI
     FileGDB)
  3. Installed the necessary source dependencies:
     'sudo apt-get build-dep gdal'
  4. Pulled down the source: 'apt-get source gdal'
  5. Added the line '--with-fgdb=/usr/local/FileGDB_API \' to the
     configure command in the debian/rules file.
  6. From the source directory, issued
     'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b'
     (as advised here: [20]How do I get the source code of packages
     installed through apt-get? - Ask Ubuntu)

 The build goes well, but fails late in the package compilation stage,
 complaining about a missing Ruby 1.9 tree in the fakeroot filesystem:
…
mv /home/scruss/gdal-1.10.0/debian/tmp/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.9/*
/home/scruss/gdal-1.10.0/debian/tmp/usr/lib/ruby/1.9/.
mv: cannot stat
‘/home/scruss/gdal-1.10.0/debian/tmp/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.9/*’: No
such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit
status 2

As this is unrelated to FGDB, it looks like I've got everything else in
place. But it also likely means that gdal wouldn't build anyway. I'd
rather stick with the ubuntugis packaging, as Ubuntu/Debian gets
difficult with source packages built outside its control.

Note that a simple './configure ; make' succeeds, even with all the
Debian options enabled. Can someone advise, please?

Many thanks,
 Stewart